Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Tree

Yes, we have an artificial tree! I have always had fantasies of going to a Christmas tree farm as a family in the cold weather wearing matching mittens with axe in hand to cut down our own beautiful tree. We would agree first time on a gorgeous 7 foot pine tree. Then we would tie it to the top of our wonderfully clean SUV and drive home drinking cocoa while singing Christmas carols as a family. Well, our kids have allergies and Landry has eczema and I don't want to have to water a tree or vacuum each day and I'm not taking any chances (plus this one is a really good one but I know, FAKE!) So, we get the tree down from the attic each year. That's our farm I guess. Plus, the kids think it's fun to push the box around and play in it.
Yes, they play Star Wars ALL the time, even in a tree box.

Logan put the entire tree together. He is really good at it. I wanted Layton and Landry to sort the pieces out and hand them to Logan and that actually happened, for about 37 seconds!
Yes, the end of the Cowboy game was on in the background, for daddy.
I think this is the only branch she even touched. Putting the ornaments is my favorite part but it's not the boys (all 3) favorite part. They all 3 wanted to be the ones to open the wrapping and lay them out. Daddy won that part this year.

I always hang these 4 together and in this order. These are the ornaments that tell my story. The first is from Adam on the first Christmas we spent together. We were barely dating but he came over to help us put up our tree at my mom's house. It is of two precious moments ice skating and that commemorates our first date when we went ice skating. The next one is a mercury glass ornament of a bride and a groom, then one from my Nana on our first Christmas as a married couple. The last one is 5 snowmen and that represents our little family of 5.
I know that some people prefer a more formal tree where everything is the same color or theme or with bows on it, etc. I don't! I love to look at my tree and see some paper ornaments, many from my childhood, lots of basketball ornaments from our coaching days, several handmade ornaments with hand prints or photos and many many others. It is very eclectic and I love it that way. I love to look at my tree and see my life.It gives me a warm feeling. The first thing I do each morning is to turn on the lights.

7 comments:

  1. our tree is fake too and we love it! And we also have all different ornaments that bring back past memories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post...funny & sentimental! You really do have a GREAT FAKE tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I have allergies and eczema too so we've always had a fake tree and I'd have it no other way. To get the nice Christmas tree smell, I just get a scented Yankee candle and voila! And I LOVE all your ornaments and agree with you that the ornaments should all have special meaning. That's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real trees are overated. Let me explain. Our first year in Oregon we went to the tree farm and found our perfect tree, chopped it down with an ax, and tied it on top of our Jeep (yes an SUV). We went right home and decorated it. The next morning, we awoke to hundreds of little spiders who were hiding inside the branches and decided to come out and play. I spent the entire month vaccuuming up spiders. We now own a fake tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also wanted to say Merry Christmas! May you have a wonderful season and feel the love of the Lord in your lives always! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a funny post! We have always had a fake tree (even the one like yours where we put each branch on!) but I oh, how I have dreamed about a real one.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tree! It is so much like ours. FAKE and with tons of random ornaments. BUT, they all mean something and hold great memories. Someday I will have a beautiful themed tree in the front room, but I will never give up this special one :)

    ReplyDelete